Thursday, October 9, 2008

Even the Wall Street Journal is catching on!

NEW YORK, NY, Oct 08, 2008 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- Over 31% of US births are now by cesarean section, although a 5% to 10% rate is best for mothers and babies. The extra cost is well over $2.5 billion per year. The excess cesareans buy no reduction in maternal and newborn deaths. But they cause unneeded exposure to the dozens of adverse effects more common with c-sections. This is just the most striking example of how health care provided to mothers giving birth exposes them to avoidable harm and expense. These conclusions are found in "Evidence-Based Maternity Care: What It Is and What It Can Achieve," a report released today by Childbirth Connection, The Reforming States Group, and the Milbank Memorial Foundation.

Read more here.

1 comment:

slh35661 said...

Thanks for writing a comment on my blog (thetravelingmidwife.blogspot.com)
I graduated from UAB with my degree in nursing/midwifery. I was in the last class to graduate from that program and then they closed. I worked as a CNM in Florence, AL for 3 yrs. Before that I was an L&D nurse for 5 yr at Brookwood Medical Center. Now I see it looks like you are busy with birthing and midwife stuff in Alabama. Hip Hip Hooray! I left the state several years ago because it is such an unfriendly state to midwives. I find TN much more midwife friendly. I feel very strongly about Alabama and the need for midwives. I wish you well with this ABC.